Friday 19 August 2011

All Amarillo IPA

I've been meaning to do an all Amarillo Beer for a while, I think the aroma is great.  So following the hopping schedule for my Centennial IPA I decided to brew this.  I would like to try making a 10 minute IPA in the future, but for now I'll stick with the basic IPA recipe.

Amarillo IPA

2.8Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
400g Raw Sugar @ 60 minutes
4oz Tapioca Based Maltodextrine @ 60 minutes
15g Amarillo Hops @ 60 minutes
15g Amarillo Hops @ 45 minutes
15g Amarillo Hops @ 30 minutes
15g Amarillo Hops @ 15 minutes
1 x whirlfloc tablet @ 15 minutes
30g Amarillo Hops @ 0 minutes (I wanted heaps of aroma)
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient @ 0 minutes
*** Cold crash ***
2 packets of Fermentis US-05 American Ale Yeast
Filled the fermenter to 21.5L

Original Gravity was 1047

Edit:  After talking with Doc from Doctors Orders Brewing, I doubt I'd do a hop burst / 10 minute IPA in the future.  As he said it really misses that bittering component.  Which I really think makes an IPA.  Might be good for a Pale Ale though.

Update:

Had a preview sample of this beer from the fermenter.  This is looking like one of my best so far, it tastes fantastic.  I'm getting orange and stonefruit flavours through.  Can't wait till it's ready to drink.

8 comments:

  1. I love your recipes. They have given me a lot of ideas on what works and what doesn't. I have one question though. Why do you usually use two packets of yeast? I've always used only one packet at a time and never had an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi No_Party,

    Basically it's a force of habit. I could create a starter but I'm lazy. So 2 packets ensures I definitely get it happening. And "should" make for faster fermentation.

    Brewman101

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi how much water do you start boil with ? And is it the white sorgun syrup extract tou use ? Regards andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy,

      I have a 19 litre pot so I'd say boiling would be about 10 to 12 litres.

      I use Briess Sorghum Syrup. In Australia it's repackaged by a few companies.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply could i switch the tapioca for corn syrup? As im having difficulties acquiring it and would it affect the taste much ?

      Delete
    3. So long as it's gluten free maltodextrine it can be from any source, corn, tapioca etc. I get mine from a work out supplement company now. The maltodextrine is a non-fermentable sugar and will add body to the beer. Make it less "cider like"

      Delete
  4. Just kegged it on Friday, turn out amazing i used 3kg of sorgim extract, and 350grams of corn syrup. SPG 1060 fermented at 20c FG 1013 approx 6%. Super happy will definitely be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Stoked to hear it was successful.

      Delete