Friday 1 June 2012

Chinook IPA - Brewing

Continuing on with my Single Hop IPA Series (thanks Mikkeller for the idea) I thought I would trial Chinook.  Having heard some bad things about boiling Chinook for 60 minutes I decided to cut this recipe down to a 30 minute boil.

Recipe:
1.4Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 30 minutes
250g Maltodextrine @ 30 minutes
28g Chinook Hops @ 30 minutes
28g Chinook Hops @ 15 minutes
1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 minutes
1tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 5 minutes
28g Chinook Hops @ 0 minutes
250ml Amber Candy Syrup @ 0 minutes
1.4Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 0 minutes
*** Cold Crash for 30 minutes ***
2 packets of US-05 American Ale Yeast

I also dry hopped this beer with 3oz (84g) of Chinook Hops at 7 days.  Sampling just before bottling I get Hop bitterness, hop bitterness and then a big dose of tropical flavours.  And I also put 1 teaspoon of Calcium carbonate post fermentation.

2 comments:

  1. Anything you would change about this beer? I have been wanting to try using chinook for a while now. Its interesting you say you get tropical flavors in this when most people say chinook is piney tasting. I am planning a similar version this weekend using rice syrup, sorghum, buckwheat honey and D-45 as my fermentables and using chinook as my flavoring hop/late addition and may use something else as my 60 minute bittering hop. Thinking of bumping up the malto to increase body. What other hops do you think would pair well with chinook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend trying this recipe exactly as it is for the first time. There is a lot of talk of chinook providing "grapefruit" like flavours especially if boiled for 60 minutes. For the short boil time this is great.

    Don't know why others are reporting more piney flavour, my taste buds might be faulty. Although I did think of this one as "grassy".

    ReplyDelete